November 15, 2009

Pohakupu Park in Kailua

My kids and I met up with friends at a new (to us) park and a good time was had by all. It was a beautiful day. One of those rare ones when there are absolutely no clouds touching the mountains and they just stand out in all their glory against the backdrop of the blue sky. I don't think I'll ever get over the beauty of this island and I'm glad for that!

We had a nice picnic in the shade and then the kids had fun playing on the playground equipment. They were much more impressed by the dinosaur to climb on, the swings (even a toddler swing - my girl liked that!), and the playground structures than the view of the mountains. My girl impressed/worried me with how high up on the dinosaur's back she was able to climb on her own. Most of the play equipment was in the sun, but there was shade nearby and a nice breeze blowing so it wasn't too hot, even at noon.

Before we left we took a walk around the fountain at the corner of the park. I've seen it countless times from the road, but had never seen it up close and personal. I decided it looks prettier from the road, but the kids liked walking around on its outer wall.

Do it yourself:
• This park is located at Castle Junction in Kailua, catty-corner to Castle Medical Center.
• The official name of this park is Pohakupu Park, but it's also known as Dinosaur Park, Fountain Park, That Park by Castle Junction (what I've always called it) and who knows what else.
• The park and the highway are only separated by a single chain, so be sure to keep a close eye on little ones and their wanderings.

This post is part of the Mom's 30-Minute Blog Challenge over at Steady Mom.

UPDATE: The next time we went to this park I realized that there are no restroom facilities there, so pee before you go! :)

3 Comments:

Kim & Dave said...

Hey-I'm visiting from Steady Mom's blog!

Love days like that with not a cloud in the sky-& we have mountains, too-that are simply gorgeous on a sunny day! (Currently, they are covered in snow-which is beautiful in the rising sun!)

turnitupmom said...

The mountains in the background are just glorious! Ahh....to be in Oahu....

se7en said...

Isn't it nice to stop and look at things we always see and then discover it is a treasure!!! Love the dinosaur photograph!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...