Last weekend we went to Zoolights, the zoo's Christmas event for those with zoo memberships. (I'm a little behind with this post. If chronology is important to you, we actually did this the day after the light parade, but I was so excited about the big waves I had to share them right away.)After the zoo closed, they let members in a side entrance for the Zoolights event. It wasn't quite what I had envisioned or expected. I thought we'd get to walk around the zoo in the dark and see lots of Christmas lights everywhere but they roped off most of the zoo and we were pretty much confined to the central lawn area. They had some exhibits set up there including an "animal encounter" which was a tortoise, a small iguana and a couple other little reptile like animals the kids could touch. They also had food for sale and a program which included the Royal Hawaiian Band and a dance/music troupe called The Shooting Stars.
As I told friends who didn't make it to the event, if you had to miss a Christmas activity/event, this was the one to miss. But that said, we had fun because we met up with friends and had a nice picnic on the lawn and enjoyed the music. At the end of a busy weekend though, our tired boy was being more naughty than nice so we skipped seeing Santa who was there and headed home a little early.
I think the next time we go to an evening activity at the zoo we'll go early and enjoy the zoo itself, then have the entertainment and a picnic supper on the lawn as a nice way to end the day.
Leave your comment
Post a Comment