May 5, 2010

Flat Stanley Visits Oahu

Have you ever met a Flat Stanley?  I've met three, but I've discovered that many people have never met a single one.  If you've never met a Stanley, let me explain.  Jeff Brown wrote a book called Flat Stanley about a boy who wakes up and discovers he was flattened by something that fell on him during the night.  The book (books actually, I think there's a whole series) goes on to describe the adventures he has while he is flat, including traveling by mail to a new place.  Many classes use this as a fun way to do a geography lesson, with each student making a Flat Stanley and mailing him somewhere.  So, on with my story.

Flat Stanley came to visit us from Louisiana.  When he arrived we got him a flower lei and I made him sunglasses and he was ready for some island adventures. 

Flat Stanley went to Nature Hour at Ho'omaluhia with us and we got some pictures of him on the nature trail there.  He also went to gymnastics class where he got a sticker for good participation for jumping on the trampoline with my boy.  

We wanted to make sure that Stanley's adventures included some uniquely Hawaiian things so we took him to beautiful Bellows Beach and took pictures of him digging and being buried in the sand.
We also took him to get some shave ice at Island Snow and of course got some ourselves too.
We had fun hosting Stanley and my boy even got a little nostalgic at the post office when mailing him back.  I think he enjoyed showing Stanley the sights.  What a fun way to learn about geography!  Which reminds me, I need to get out a map and teach my boy a little about Louisiana so we can get in on the learning part of this experience too!


Mahalo to SteadyMom for hosting the Moms' 30-Minute Blog Challenge again this week!

1 Comment:

Barbara said...

You may get another one in 2011. Our Flat Stanley got lost on his way back here from Maine this year! Now that's an adventure :)

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...