I lived on Oahu for quite awhile before I figured out what/where Magic Island was. I think I thought it was an island, which it isn’t. It’s more of a peninsula. It also isn’t magical really, although the peacefulness I feel after an evening there makes it feel like maybe there is a little magic there.
Now that we know what and where Magic Island is we like to go down there on Friday evenings for a picnic supper and an evening in the park. It’s become a family tradition that we all enjoy. Our boy likes to take his bike or scooter to ride on the paved paths there and during the summer we sometimes take swimsuits for the kids so they can swim in the protected area at the end of the island, I mean peninsula.
It’s a beautiful spot and a great place to watch the sunset. A few months ago it was there that I finally saw the first green flash I’ve seen in Hawaii. As if all of the above wasn’t reason enough to head down to Magic Island there are also fireworks. Hilton Hawaiian Village shoots off fireworks almost every Friday at 7:45 PM and Magic Island is a great place to watch them over the water.
The only bad part about evenings at Magic Island is it’s hard to get our kids to stop running around and playing long enough to eat their supper. But no matter how much or little they eat they sleep well from all the exercise they have gotten.
Do it yourself on Oahu:
• Magic Island is on the Waikiki side of Ala Moana Beach Park, across from the Ala Moana Mall. Here's a map link.
• Parking is free and there’s usually plenty of it, although in the summer months it can sometimes take a little while to find a spot.
• There are outdoor showers and a number of bathrooms that are usually decently clean.
• Fireworks are at 7:45 PM except on the rare occasions when they are cancelled due to bad weather. There are no fireworks on Good Friday.



Leave your comment
Post a Comment