July 5, 2011

Mountain Magic Shave Ice in Waikele


Awhile back some friends and I were discussing shave ice and someone mentioned their favorite was from a little stand at Waikele.  After a morning of shopping at Waikele Outlet Mall with my kids I decided to reward us all with some shave ice.  Following my friend's recommendation I headed to the shave ice stand next to Sports Authority.

The shave ice stand was easy to find with its big sign and the crowd of people around it.  We waited in line and I was going to get the large size until I saw how big a small was.  We got two smalls and it was more than enough for the three of us.  

With over 30 flavors to choose from it was hard to decide what to pick, but each kid narrowed it down to three flavors they wanted.  We opted out on ice cream in the bottom of the cone and a number of other options and just stuck with basic shave ice.

So how was it?  Unlike any shave ice I have had.  The ice was super fine and there was not a crunch to it.  'Soft' and 'fluffy' aren't words I would usually use to describe ice, but those were the words that came to mind when we ate this shave ice.  A tiny bit more syrup might have been nice, but a little mixing solved that.

If you're in Waikele and need a special treat or a refreshing snack, stop by the Mountain Magic Shave Ice stand and enjoy!


Do it yourself on Oahu
Location:  In front of the Sports Authority store in Waikele at 94-809 Lumiania Street, Waipahu, Hawaii
Directions:  Take the H1 west heading towards Kapolei.  After the H1-H2 merge, take the Waikele/Waipahu exit (exit 7).  At the end of the offramp take a right onto Paiwa Street.  Take the first right you come to.  You'll then see Sports Authority on your right and you can turn into their parking lot.
Hours:  I failed to find out the hours of the shave ice stand.  Next time I'm there I'll check and update this.
Parking:  Free parking.  Lots of it.  
Facilities:  We used the restrooms inside of Sports Authority because obviously this little stand doesn't have their own.

3 Comments:

kailani said...

We were actually there a couple of weeks ago. It's nice that it's right next to a ledge that the kids can sit on while eating!

Oahu Mom said...

Kailani - that is a well placed ledge/curb and is where we sat too. Thanks for mentioning that!

Hawaii Mom Blog said...

I passed that stand so many times but never bought shave ice. I'll have to try it out the next time!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...