July 1, 2011

Savers: Thrift Shoppers' Paradise


Some friends who used to live here came back to Hawaii for a visit and Savers was on the top of their list of places to go while they were here.  I am not a thrift shopping expert but apparently it's that great of a store.

Savers sells household goods, books, toys, accessories, shoes and lots of clothes.  The clothes are well organized by style, size and even color.  They have clothing from swimwear to coats and everything in between.  

It's a great place to shop before a trip to a colder climate.  You'll spend less than you would at mainstream stores and you can find winter items year round, not just when retailers decide they are in season.

Savers is also a great place to get children's clothes.  It seems that a number of thrift stores no longer carry children's items so I'm glad for a place to not only shop but also donate items my children have outgrown or no longer use.

Speaking of donating, the Kalihi Savers supports the United Cerebral Palsy Association of Hawaii Foundation and the Waipahu Savers supports the Friends of National Kidney Foundation of Hawaii.  When you donate items you get a receipt to use for a tax deduction and a coupon for $3 off a purchase of $10 or more.  You can call them to find out about a donation pick-up at your home or you can take donations directly to the store.

As far as prices go, keep an eye on the tags because the prices vary from item to item.  Some are a great deal, others aren't quite as good.  Also take note of the color of the price tag.  Each day a certain color of tags are 50% off.  Check with an employee or on the bulletin board by the entrance to find the sale color of the day.  

On a recent shopping trip I kept track of my purchases.  I bought 2 shirts for my daughter, 7 pairs of long pants, 4 shirts and 1 coat for my son, 6 shirts, 3 pairs of shorts and 1 pair of capri pants for myself and, thanks to their good prices and a 20% off coupon I had earned through their punch-card system, I only spent $94.

Happy shopping and happy saving!

Do it yourself on Oahu
Location:
Savers Kalihi is at 1505 Dillingham Blvd. #1, Honolulu, Hawaii
Savers Waipahu is at 94-300 Farrington Hwy., Waipahu, Hawaii
Directions:  Find your nearest store and view a map and directions at this Find a Savers Store Link
Hours:  Mondays-Saturdays 9am to9pm; Sundays 10am to 6pm
Parking:  Parking lots at both locations.  The Kalihi parking lot has a 2 hour limit, not sure about Waipahu.
Facilities:  At the Kalhi location there are dressing rooms for trying on clothes.  There is also a restroom (that often has a long line) in the back.  I haven't been to the Waipahu store in years so I am not sure of their facilities but I would guess they are similar.
Other:  They take cash and credit cards.  Not sure about checks, I haven't asked.
More info:  Savers Kalihi  808-842-0061; Savers Waipahu 808-671-0071

Leave your comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...