We had family visiting last week and they wanted was to see a hula show so one evening we headed down to Waikiki to watch the show at Kuhio Beach. We got there 20 minutes before it started and got a nice spot on the lawn in front of the hula mound. As showtime got closer the area filled in around us and by the time the show started the lawn was filled with people and there was standing room only on all sides of the venue.
Different hula halaus (hula schools) put on the show different evenings. The evening we were there the atmosphere on stage was one of ohana (family). Songs sung in Hawaiian were translated into English and cultural traditions were shared and explained. The dances were well done and the music was beautiful, but I went away feeling I had caught a glimpse of the real Hawaii rather than feeling like I had watched a super polished made-for-tourists-only show. I really enjoyed how genuine it all was.
The hula show was well done and the setting was beautiful. As we were watching the show the sun set behind us over the ocean and the tiki torches surrounding us burned brighter. This was a fun way to take in a hula performance!
Do it yourself on Oahu
Location: Kuhio Hula Mound in Waikiki is located on the ocean side of Kalakaua Ave. between Uluniu Ave. and Liliuokalani Ave.
Hours: Currently the shows are from 6:30pm to 7:30pm on Tuesdays, Thursdays, Saturdays and Sundays. I've read that in the winter months (I believe Nov-Jan) the show begins at 6pm.
Parking: We parked in the zoo parking lot where rates are currently $1/hr. Entrance to the zoo lot is off of Kapahulu Ave. From here it's about a six block walk to the Kuhio Hula Mound.
Facilities: There are public restrooms located a block or two down the beach. Some of the retail establishments across the street also have restrooms that are open to the public.
Cost: Free
Other: We just sat on the grass, but you can also take mats or blankets to sit on. We packed a picnic supper for the kids and I'd definitely recommend doing that. Afterwards we went across the street to Yogurtland for dessert. Yum!
More info: Before heading to Waikiki, please call 808-843-8002 to confirm show days and times.


Leave your comment
Post a Comment