I've been wanting to try the shave ice at Waiola Shave Ice and a couple weeks ago on my way home from the zoo I got my chance. I saw their sign as I was heading up Kapahulu Ave. toward the H-1 and spontaneously turned in. Actually I missed the turn, but the good news is you can easily get there by turning on the next street up and going around the block - something that's not always possible here on Oahu. The kids were pretty surprised by spontaneous shave ice since the last thing they knew we were heading home for naptime.
We parked in front of the store and ordered at the front window. The flavor selections weren't as numerous as some shave ice vendors but there were plenty to choose from. They charge extra if you order more than two flavors, but rather than have my son make his selection a second time I paid the extra 25 cents for a third flavor.The shave ice comes in cups which I think is easier than cones for kids to manage. It was thinly shaved and I thought the balance of ice to syrup was perfect. When they were pouring it on I thought it would be way too much but I didn't end up with a cupful of syrup at the end like I sometimes have at other places.
Adjacent to the store (which carries crack seed and other snacks inside) is a nice area to sit down to enjoy your shave ice. There was a steady stream of people there in the middle of a weekday but we easily found a place to park and a place to sit. I'm guessing it's busier on the weekends.Location: Waiola Shave Ice has several loations. I went to the one in the Kaimuki Neighborhood at 3113 Mokihana Street, Honolulu 96816
Directions: Heading mauka (toward the mountains) on Kapahulu Ave., take a right on Mokihana Street and Waiola shave ice will be on your right.
Hours: M-Th 10am to 6pm, Fri-Sat 10am to 6:30pm
Parking: There is parking in front of the store. I'm guessing when that fills up you would have to look for neighborhood street parking.
Facilities: Picnic tables with umbrellas to sit and eat your shave ice. I'm not sure whether or not they have restrooms.
Other: Waiola Shave Ice has been featured on Hawaii Five-0, but they film it at a different location and created their own character to be the owner. So you can't visit Waiola Shave Ice as seen on Hawaii Five-0, but the real store is worth a visit.

3 Comments:
I haven't been there yet! Shave ice sounds good right now...it's so humid!
Shave ice does sound good now, doesn't it!? Instead I'm getting ready to make dinner in a hot kitchen. Oh well, we can dream. :) -Lisa
I think the last time we went there they didn't have those benches. Definitely a great addition!
Post a Comment