Puka Dog is a fun little place to eat a hot dog in Waikiki. They have a couple twists on the traditional hot dog that make for a fun and tasty experience. When it comes to the bread, instead of regular hot dog buns they use a bigger bun that they make a hole (called a 'puka' in Hawaiian) through the middle of the bread and put the hot dog in this hole. They have two choices of hot dogs - polish sausage or veggie.
The second twist on the traditional hot dog are their relishes. They have a secret garlic lemon sauce they offer in various levels of spicy and a number of tropical relishes as well. I wasn't sure about putting Mango Relish or Coconut Relish in my hot dog but at the urging of friends who'd eaten there I gave it a try and definitely enjoyed it!
For the less adventurous, like my kids, they also offer regular old ketchup, mustard and pickle relish. Last time I was there I noticed they also have a children's size hot dog but it's not on the main menu and so I hadn't noticed it when we ordered. Too bad because the regular puka dogs are too big for my kids to finish. Next time we'll try the keiki option!
Last but not least, their fresh squeezed lemonade is delicious!
Do it yourself on Oahu
Location: In the Waikiki Town Center at 2301 Kuhio Avenue #2, Honolulu, Hawaii 96815. I think of them as being located at the back side of the International Marketplace and you can get there by walking through the International Marketplace to Kuhio Ave.
Hours: Mon-Thurs, 10am to 10pm; Fri-Sat, 10am to 11:30pm
Parking: They don't have their own parking so you have to find a parking garage or street parking. You could also park on one end or the other of Waikiki where parking costs less and get in some exercise walking to and from Puka Dog.
Facilities: There are restrooms located upstairs that are shared by businesses in the area. They have a few tables in front of the restaurant. They can fill up when it gets busy but we've gotten lucky and always gotten a place to sit.
More info: 808-924-7887

1 Comment:
I just saw that place on TV...glad to know they serve veggie dogs!
Post a Comment