November 22, 2011

Swap Meet at the Aloha Stadium

Have you started Christmas shopping?  It's not quite Thanksgiving and usually I take one holiday at a time but this year I decided to get as much shopping out of the way in November as possible.

I always do some Christmas shopping at the Aloha Stadium.  I once overhead a vendor say people who live here go to the stadium when they have visitors from off-island and at Christmastime and I know that's true for me.

The term 'swap meet' makes me think of a community garage sale, but the vast majority of the items at this one are new.  There are a lot of different types of things available at the stadium swap meet and over the years I feel like I've bought at least one of every type of item they have.

This is the perfect place to shop to buy Hawaiiana type things for friends off-island and prices are better than in Waikiki.  But don't think it's only tourist stuff for sale here because there's a lot more to buy than that.  Items for sale include: Hawaii t-shirts, aloha wear, sunglasses, board shorts, hats, prints of photos and paintings, beach towels, luggage, bags of all sizes and styles, baskets, handicraft items, quilts, cheap plastic toys (my kids always want to spend their money on these), musical instruments, jewelry, hair accessories, and the list goes on.

For those of you who are more visual, here's a list in picture form:
And one last picture, the aloha wear outfits I got at the swap meet for my kids to wear for Christmas last year.


The vendors are positioned in a circle around the stadium so you get a bit of exercise while you shop.  I always take a stroller and I use it for keeping my wandering daughter with me and for giving my son a ride when he gets tired of walking.  

Speaking of kids, mine usually enjoy going to the swap meet.  It's a great place for them to spend their pocket money because a lot of things are available in their price range.  My son has bought toys, necklaces, wooden bookmarks and a bunch of other things there.  When they get tired I can motivate them to keep going with the promise of fresh sliced fruit or shave ice which are both available there.

Happy shopping!  Some of the vendors will bargain with you, so happy bargaining too!


Do it yourself on Oahu
Location:  Aloha Stadium, 99-500 Sale Lake Blvd, Honolulu, HI 96818
Hours:  Wednesdays, Saturdays and Sundays from 8am to 3pm  (They usually have extended days and/or hours during the holidays but I'm not finding those anywhere right now.)
Cost:  $1 admission for ages 11 and older
Parking:  After you come in the entrance there is a parking lot immediately to the left, there is parking all around the perimeter of the stadium, and there is a big parking lot near the front side of the stadium.
Facilities:  There are restrooms at a couple locations around the stadium.  
Other:  Although there is some food for sale there I always take snacks for my kids.  I would also recommend taking water bottles and an umbrella and wearing a hat and/or sunscreen, especially in the summer when it gets really hot there.
More info:  Official webpage for the Aloha Stadium Swap Meet and Marketplace

Leave your comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...