January 19, 2010

Chinatown

Over the holiday weekend we decided to go to Chinatown to look around. We've been there a number of times to eat at various restaurants and last year we went to the Chinese New Year parade there, but we realized we'd never just gone to wander.

We meandered through some of the stores and saw lots of fresh produce and fresh seafood.
Some was even more fresh than this and was still swimming around in the tanks. Came across a lot of food items I wouldn't know what to do with, but if I'm ever cooking Asian food and need to find an ingredient I definitely will know where to go shopping!
When the kids got tired of shopping we walked along the canal for a bit to break things up for them.
Then we went in a few more stores. One sold beads and jewelry and both kids wanted to touch everything in the store. Miraculously we made it out of there without breaking anything, whew! Another store we went in was filled with all kinds of cooking utensils and when my current wok wears out I have my next one picked out.
Challenged our boy to get the ball out of this lion's mouth, then we talked about how it was made. The teacher in me getting him to learn through exploration I guess.

I've tagged this post as a free activity because there is no charge to walk around Chinatown, but we didn't leave with as much money as we arrived with. I bought some bananas and papayas, canned gluten (tastes better than it sounds or looks) to use when I make stir-fry and lettuce wraps, and a little bit of jewelry at the bead store. Oh, and we paid $2 for parking. It was a fun cultural experience, just 30 minutes from our back door.


Do it yourself:

• I don't want to label Chinatown as unsafe during the day but I was glad my husband was along for this outing. We didn't have any problems or anything weird happen but I just felt more comfortable having another adult with me. My recommendation would be to go as a family or invite a friend to join you.
• Location: Along the west side of downtown Honolulu.
• Parking: There are some open lots as well as a number of parking garages in Chinatown. We parked in a garage along Maunakea with an entrance between Hotel and King Streets. They have special weekend and holiday rates. During the week it might be less expensive to park in one of the open lots. We saw one on Maunakea and I know there are others.
• Markets: In addition to the stores you can see from the street, there are a couple of marketplaces that are interesting to stroll through. Maunakea Market is between Hotel Street and N. Pauahi Street in the block closest to the canal and Kakaulike Market is between King Street and Hotel Street in the same block.
• Produce: Lots of fresh, local produce at great prices!

Leave your comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...