August 31, 2010

Seeing Jack Sparrow, AKA Johnny Depp

This is old news now, but based on the interest in my post about the pirate ship in Kaneohe Bay, I think people will enjoy hearing about this celebrity sighting so I'm going to share even though it's a bit after the fact.

A friend of mine took her kids to see the Queen Anne's Revenge when it was at He'eia Pier for the filming of Pirates of the Caribbean 4.  She chatted with a security guard who told her they were filming at night and Johnny Depp usually stopped to greet fans on his way out to the ship, in his full Jack Sparrow costume.  She decided to go down the next evening to see if she could see him and when she told me about it I invited myself along.  We weren't the only ones with this bright idea.


We got there around 8 and waited about an hour and a half before Johnny Depp/Jack Sparrow showed up.  The energy in the crowd was high, but it got much higher when a black SUV stopped and out jumped Jack Sparrow/Johnny Depp.  He went right over to the pedestrian gates and started working his way down the line, shaking hands and signing a few autographs.  He took extra time to chat with kids.  We had left ours at home so we didn't have that draw, but I got some good pictures and my friend got to shake his hand.


The guy with Johnny Depp kept moving him along and apologizing that there wasn't more time and they couldn't do autographs.  It made Johnny Depp look like the nicest guy who really wanted to stop and chat with everyone and meet every request but wasn't allowed.  A brilliant PR move, as was the idea of stopping in the first place.  I guess the rest of the actors just drove from make-up out to the ship, but Johnny Depp chose to stop and see his fans every night.



I'm not usually a celebrity stalker, but it was pretty cool to be right up at the rope line and see Jack Sparrow in all his piratey (a word I just made up) glory.  

One last picture.  Can you find the pirate in this photo?  He's there!




Do it yourself on Oahu:

Unfortunately, you'll have to wait for the next movie.  Johnny Depp only filmed at He'eia Pier a couple more nights after we were there and I hear Hawaii filming for Pirates 4 wrapped in the middle of August.

1 Comment:

Brie said...

OMG! I didn't know he was so "fan friendly" (always kind of seemed stuck up to me on tv & such). How awesome & lucky you to get so close!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...