August 2, 2010

The Black Pearl* in Kaneohe Bay


'Thar be pirates in the land, me mateys!  Saturday afternoon we drove over to Heeia Boat Harbor to see the Black Pearl* herself.  Yes, there is going to be a Pirates of the Caribbean 4 and they're filming it here in Hawaii!  So we know one thing about the movie for sure, the scenery will be stunning.

Access to the boat harbor was limited to turning around in the parking lot so we drove to the nearby Heeia State Park and got a great view of the pirate ship from there.  It really is a neat looking ship, at least from a distance.  My favorite is the lantern that hangs off the back.  It would have been neat to see it all with binoculars but we hadn't thought to take any.

Here is one more photo.  They were very considerate and moved the Pearl off the end of the dock and spun her around for us to get a good view.  

Enjoy this post? You might also be interested in my post about seeing Jack Sparrow, a.k.a. Johnny Depp.


Do it Yourself on Oahu:

• The temporary 'no parking' signs along the road were from now through Aug. 14, so if you want to see the Black Pearl yourself it's likely that it will be there a week or two.  The staging area across the street is also kinda neat to check out as you drive by.
• I'd definitely recommend the view from Heeia State Park.  Here's a map.  Take binoculars and maybe you'll see a famous pirate or two.  When we were at the park a lot of people were stopping in to take pictures but there was always plenty of parking.

*UPDATE:  I've been hearing that this is the Queen Anne's Revenge, not the Black Pearl.  A cool looking pirate ship, no matter the name.

8 Comments:

Maureen said...

That's pretty cool! Whenever I see the movie (which will be several years at the rate I get to movies) I'll think of you guys. :)

Jeneé said...

Cool! Can't wait for the movie to come out :) Thanks for sharing!!

Dana said...

That's so awesome! Please, please, please tell me they will still be there in January!?!? purrrr.....Johhny Depp. ;o)

Anonymous said...

No Augusts was the last month the boat was supposed to be there.

Anonymous said...

I love browsing your blog for the reason that you can always bring us new and awesome stuff, I think that I must at least say thanks for your hard work.

- Henry

Anonymous said...

Hey - I am definitely glad to find this. Good job!

Anonymous said...

That is actually the "Queen Anne's Revenge", Blackbeard's ship not the Black Pearl.

Oahu Mom said...

Yes anonymous you are right, it's the Queen Anne's Revenge. I don't think you read my whole post because I mention that at the end. Added that update a long time ago.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...