I packed up the stroller and a picnic lunch this morning and off we went to the zoo after my girl's morning nap. For being in the middle of the Pacific Ocean, the Honolulu Zoo really has a nice collection of animals. Giraffes, elephants, hippos, orangutans, tigers and more. So where do we always head first thing? I’ll give you a hint:
Did you guess goat? Yep, we have to make a beeline to the goats. Oh sure, my boy will glance at the tigers or elephants or whatever we pass, but the goal is definitely to get to the goats. Lucky me! You see, I’m not so much a fan of the goats. They poop all over the sidewalk and I’m sure they lay in it too and it just can’t be hygienic to go in their area and hang out with them and worse yet actually touch them! But I don’t want to stunt my children’s development or pass on my issues to them or anything so into the goat pen we go.
After my boy gets his goat fix and I wipe them both down from head to toe with sanitizer (not really, but can't say I never thought of that) he’s ready for his second favorite thing at the zoo, the playground! I’d probably vote for the ‘African Savannah' myself but I really have no complaints about the playground. Who wouldn’t want to hang out under these gorgeous trees while the kids burn off some energy?!
After my boy gets his goat fix and I wipe them both down from head to toe with sanitizer (not really, but can't say I never thought of that) he’s ready for his second favorite thing at the zoo, the playground! I’d probably vote for the ‘African Savannah' myself but I really have no complaints about the playground. Who wouldn’t want to hang out under these gorgeous trees while the kids burn off some energy?!
By the time we finished with the goats and the playground today it was time for lunch. After we ate we finally got to go and see the ‘cool’ animals. You know, the ones from Africa and India as opposed to Old MacDonald’s place.
All in all it was a good day at the zoo and since I just renewed our yearly membership today I know we’ll definitely be going back, goats and all!
Do it yourself on Oahu
Location: On the corner of Kapahulu and Kalakaua Aves. at 151 Kapahulu Avenue, Waikiki, Hawaii
Hours: 9am to 4:30pm daily; Closed on Christmas
Parking: The zoo parking lot is adjacent to the zoo along Kapahulu Ave. This lot is metered parking. Memorize your license plate number (or park near one of the pay stations) and then pay with credit card or cash at the pay station. No need to put your receipt on your dashboard, the parking attendants check when your parking is expired electronically using your license plate number. If I remember right, parking here is $1/hr and you can add time remotely using your phone, how cool is that?! You can also park for free in the Waikiki Shell parking lot which is along Monsarrat on the other side of the zoo.
Facilities: The zoo has restroom facilities in several locations. They have a couple of places to get food and drinks including the Kapahulu Market. There is a gift shop by the main entrance.
Other: A zoo membership is worth purchasing and will save you money even if you only visit a handful of times in a year. You can find membership info and even join online here.
More info: Honolulu Zoo Webpage, 808-971-7171
Do it yourself on Oahu
Location: On the corner of Kapahulu and Kalakaua Aves. at 151 Kapahulu Avenue, Waikiki, Hawaii
Hours: 9am to 4:30pm daily; Closed on Christmas
Parking: The zoo parking lot is adjacent to the zoo along Kapahulu Ave. This lot is metered parking. Memorize your license plate number (or park near one of the pay stations) and then pay with credit card or cash at the pay station. No need to put your receipt on your dashboard, the parking attendants check when your parking is expired electronically using your license plate number. If I remember right, parking here is $1/hr and you can add time remotely using your phone, how cool is that?! You can also park for free in the Waikiki Shell parking lot which is along Monsarrat on the other side of the zoo.
Facilities: The zoo has restroom facilities in several locations. They have a couple of places to get food and drinks including the Kapahulu Market. There is a gift shop by the main entrance.
Other: A zoo membership is worth purchasing and will save you money even if you only visit a handful of times in a year. You can find membership info and even join online here.
More info: Honolulu Zoo Webpage, 808-971-7171
2 Comments:
Too funny! As soon as I read "The Zoo" Raffi popped into my head. Great memories of having to play that song over and over while trying to drive H-1.
-Barb
I had never heard the zoo song before! Thanks for sharing looks like you had a good time. If I would have known he like goats sooo much we could have gotten mine out a lot more while you were here :( sorry! There not that bad! Maybe the ones at the zoo are different!
Post a Comment