As we are packing to head to the Mainland for a few days I remembered an experience when we lived in North Carolina. We met up with friends from Hawaii who mentioned that their boys were wearing the only pair of real shoes they owned. I've never been one to buy tons of shoes for my kids in any given size, they grow too fast for that, but still I couldn't imagine only having one pair.
Well, here we are a year and a half later and guess what, I'm having to ask myself - do the kids have any shoes that fit? Digging around in the bottom of the shoe box I discovered that they do, but they sure don't get worn that much. Slippers are my boy's favorite form of footwear (see self portrait of his feet) and when he outgrew his sandals he even started wearing slippers to church. He'd wear them hiking too if we'd let him. The cost of living in Hawaii is high, but we do spend less on shoes and clothes than we would in the Mainland.
2 Comments:
And it sticks with you! I would get teased in England for wearing flip flops in the rain and wind. And now that we're back to the tropics I don't even KNOW how many pairs I own. One in every color thanks to 2 pairs for $5 from Old Navy. I accessorize more with my flip flops than my jewelry I think!!
I love only having one season to buy clothes for! It really makes things a lot easier. And I don't know what my kids would do if they had to wear "real" shoes every day. We are singlehandedly keeping the Crocs people in business!
Post a Comment