September 7, 2009

Camping at Hoomaluhia

I have a cautious interest in camping. I do occasionally go camping and I've made some great memories on camping trips but I'm not a gung ho or hardcore camper by any means. However, I've decided that camping at Ho'omaluhia Botanical Gardens has the potential to make me truly enthusiastic about camping. Pitching your tent under a shady tree on a nice grassy lawn with these majestic mountains as a backdrop - what's not to love?!
Yes, they have funky gate hours so you can't come and go quite as freely as you might want to, but once you figure out the schedule it's very workable. Oh and yes, it's not at the beach but in a way that simplifies things a bit and with a toddler and a preschooler in the family I'll take every bit of simple I can get. They have showers and flush toilets and lots of wide open spaces for playing Frisbee, running, exploring, hiking and other fun family adventures. There's a big lake kids can fish in and they have fire pits for marshmallow roasting, yum!

Now before any friends start adding comments about what a hypocrite I am I will on my own accord admit that I haven't actually spent the night in our tent which is pictured above. No, I've packed up my girl after campfire time and we've taken advantage of the 9 PM gate opening and headed home to sleep in our own beds, leaving father and son to have some quality bonding time before we return when the gate opens at 9 AM the next morning. But when she gets just a little bit older we'll all stay overnight and I'll get to enjoy the sunrise on the beautiful Koolau Mountains from our camping spot. This tentative camper can hardly wait!

Leave your comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...