September 15, 2009

Sea Life Park

We had family visiting from the Mainland over the Labor Day Weekend (yes, I'm a little behind on updating my blog) and they asked about Sea Life Park as something to do while they were here and we went on Labor Day. I'd been there years ago when I took a bunch of my students on a field trip but hadn't been back since and my husband and kids had never been.

I knew it was a pricier activity than most but was surprised to find they even charge for parking. Paid for parking, unloaded everyone from the car, bought our entrance tickets (yay for kama'aina (local) rates!) and we were off on our marine animal adventure.

We started the day with the sea lion show. For me, watching our boy's face was even more fun than watching the show itself. He smiled and laughed and grinned and just had the greatest time. Our girl got into it too and made her universal animal sound (a little growl she uses for all animals except birds) every time a sea lion came out. She also got into applauding with the rest of the audience. It was too cute!
We missed all the feeding times where you can buy food to feed the sea lions and turtles, but we did get to the touch pool area where we got to pet a baby sea turtle and we got to watch the sea lions swim around and lounge on the rocks in their area.

We watched both dolphin shows and they were good. The snacks we took helped the kids wait patiently for the shows to start and kept them completely content during the shows as well. I thought the pace of the shows was a little slow but the tricks the dolphins did were neat to see and the backdrop of the ocean behind the show venues was beautiful.
Before we left the park we watched the giant sea turtles, looked at the bird and monk seal rehabilitation areas, let the kids run around in a play structure they have there and then spent some time looking at the large aquarium that you circle as you enter and exit the park. Divers were feeding the rays and that was neat to see.
We were all tired and hungry by the time we left. There's too much to see in half a day at the park but not enough for a whole day. We'd opted to push lunch back a bit and have a long morning there and then head to Kailua for lunch rather than taking time to buy food in the park. I think next time I'd either pack a lunch or take snacks for the adults too to avoid dragging out of there like we did this time. Lunch never tasted so good!

In the evening's conversation I discovered that the other adults in the group thought Sea Life Park was very run down and in need of painting and other maintenance. We watched the scenes from 50 First Dates that feature Sea Life Park and the pools were definitely cleaner then than they are now, but the need for more maintenance wasn't what I noticed at the park. I noticed the awesome scenery and the delight on my children's faces as they got to see creatures up close that they more often see at a distance or in books. Would I recommend it for tourists with limited time to see the island? Probably not, but if you live here and are looking for something different to do with your kids definitely put this on the list. It's not Sea World by any stretch of the imagination, nor is it a place we'll visit monthly, but this won't be our last trip to Sea Life Park, that's for sure!

One last picture - the penguin habitat and the beautiful mountains beyond. The park really is in a gorgeous setting!

If you go:
Don't forget your water bottles and sunscreen!
If you have a choice I'd recommend going sometime other than the middle of summer when it's not as hot.
They have lots of "animal encounter" options if you want to pay the big bucks to swim with a dolphin, etc. Seemed really pricey and we skipped those options, but if it's your dream you can fulfill it here!
If you live here:
Take your kama'aina ID. You can buy two tickets at kama'aina rates with each local ID.

2 Comments:

Joelle said...

Totally agree with your evaluation, though haven't been for years -- I think Hannah was 5?? The summer before we got married?? We did pay for her to do the dolphin visit thing -- not sure whether they still do that -- but you get to be up close and personal with the dolphins for a fee...

Anonymous said...

I like reading your blog for the reason that you can constantly get us new and awesome things, I think that I must at least say thanks for your hard work.

- Rob

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...