Today we had a late morning class/appointment on the windward side and an early afternoon class/appointment on the leeward side. Rather than try to rush home in between for lunch I decided to pack a picnic and spend our lunchtime at Nu'uanu Valley Park. It's off of the Pali Highway which was our chosen route for the day anyway so it was super convenient.
The park was/is beautiful! The giant trees are amazing to see and provide tons of shade. It was a hot day today but even at high noon it was very comfortable at the park with the shade from the trees and the trade winds that were blowing. It was quiet and peaceful but there were enough people there the whole time that I felt safe. When the mothers and kids vacated the playground (probably to go home for lunch) other people came to eat lunch at the picnic tables in the park.

We had a fun little picnic which thankfully was not interrupted by rain. I was worried for a few minutes when I spotted a huge gray cloud and felt the breeze pick up a little but the cloud went a different way and we stayed dry.
A little side note here. Do you know how tricky it is to take a picture of your oldest child on a swing (with a slow digital camera) while simultaneously trying to keep your youngest child from walking in the path of said swing? Had a couple close calls but no one was hurt in the taking of this picture. Whew!
This was definitely a successful outing! It was more fun and more relaxing than a stop at home would have been and I think we'll add it into our week any time we have appointments on opposite sides of the island that bracket lunch - which happens more often than you'd think.

3 Comments:
I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed a complete lack of swings on the Island!!
My kids thought they'd died and gone to heaven when we moved to Bragg and had that huge swing set right behind our house. I think all we did was swing for the first 4 months we lived here!
After reading the Blog we went to this Park after coming off Pali and I must say it was a disappointment, my son is 4 and that playground is very small , not only that the rope attached is dangerous and the pole is way to high , however the whole neighborhood seems to be full with Asian people who was at the playground who looked at us like we got lost not only that they did shield they kids from our son like they was scared , my 4 year old felt very uncomfortable there and complained that other then swings there was nothing to do ...point is this playground is very old and in a older people community so if anyone want swings and they kids to play in a huge playground consider Hickam ! besides the bellows playground the best on the whole island ! we go there almost every day !
Anonymous - Thanks for sharing your review, always good to have multiple perspectives. Sorry you didn't like it. It's still one of our favorites, but I understand that not everyone enjoys the same things.
Not everyone has access to Hickam or the military section of Bellows but those are good recommendations for our military connected readers. Thanks -Lisa
Post a Comment