Swimming lessons were cancelled today so we had some extra time in our schedule. I often use unexpected free time to catch up on chores around the house or run errands but today I decided to do something outdoors with the kids. I thought of walking on the beach but I didn't feel like dealing with all the sand, never mind that it's almost impossible to keep my boy out of the water whether he's in a swimsuit or not. I thought about walking along the marsh in Kailua but that idea just wasn't quite right. Then my boy said he wanted to go to a park with a playground and that seemed like a great idea.
Hoping for a shady playground I headed to Lanikai. I'd seen the playground there numerous times but had never paid close attention to it. We got there and it was indeed in the shade, hooray! Both kids had a fun time climbing, sliding and swinging. I enjoyed the beautiful weather and the time away from my chores and errands.
Do it yourself:
• The playground in Lanikai is on the corner of Aalapapa Drive and Kaiolena Drive in Lanikai.
• There's parking along Kaiolena Drive, though on the weekends parking spots in Lanikai can be few and far between. Check for parking signs, there are some 'no parking' areas and some 'no parking after a certain time' areas too. Also, park in the direction of traffic on the side of the road you are on. I've heard of the police ticketing in Lanikai for people parked on the left with their car facing oncoming traffic.
• Next to the playground there is a workout station, a big grassy field and a basketball court. A great spot for burning off extra energy!
3 Comments:
I do enjoy reading about your island adventures. I just may refer back to all the fun places you post about...as we make plans for our future travels. Yours is the only state the rest of my family has not seen.
{it is me...from years ago...}
Did they have swings!? Swings are SO hard to find on this island!
Yes, they DO have swings, one toddler swing and one regular swing. Two other parks I know of with swings are Nu'uanu Valley Park (regular only, no toddler swings) and Pohakupu Park. I'm sure there are others but I agree, swings are rare around here!
Post a Comment