Rainy weather nixed our plans for a hike on Saturday and we went to the Maui aquarium instead. I was afraid everyone else on the island might have the same idea but thankfully they didn't. There were quite a few people there but it wasn't overly crowded. We enjoyed the tanks and displays in the first building and I decided garden eels have to be one of the weirdest creatures. They're like a sci-fi cross between a plant and an animal. My husband pointed out shrimp that had a number of little pinchers that all seemed to work like arms and we contemplated what it would be like to have six hands to use to put food into your mouth.
Between rain showers we headed outside to see the hammerhead shark tank and the touch pool, which our boy called the petting zoo. It seems many touch pools mainly have rocks and shells on display, but amazingly they had actual sea creatures (star fish, sea cucumbers and a couple other things) in theirs. Our boy loved it, our girl was curious about it all but afraid to actually touch anything.
The second building had fewer small aquariums and more hands-on and interactive displays, including a large section about Humpback whales. The tunnel through the biggest tank was a peaceful place to sit and watch the fish.
The second building had fewer small aquariums and more hands-on and interactive displays, including a large section about Humpback whales. The tunnel through the biggest tank was a peaceful place to sit and watch the fish.
We ended our visit with some time at the turtle lagoon where we got to see the turtles enjoy a meal of lettuce. The aquarium was a little pricey but by the time we left I felt we had gotten our money's worth and I was glad we'd visited!
Do it yourself:
• This aquarium is very nicely done. They have a wide variety of creatures on display and the set-up is very kid friendly with steps for the kids to climb on to see into many of the aquariums and quite a few hands-on activities for them to enjoy.
• Only one discounted ticket allowed per local or military ID, so if that applies to you, make sure everyone in your group takes their ID.
• There is a little cafe and a restaurant inside the ocean center but we didn't eat there so I can't offer any specific recommendations.
• Visit their official website for more information.
Thank you to Delicious Baby for hosting Photo Friday! Check it out to see travel photos from around the globe.
Thank you to Delicious Baby for hosting Photo Friday! Check it out to see travel photos from around the globe.
4 Comments:
We've been to Maui only twice, and we've been to M.Ocean Center twice:) My son loves aquariums and loves this one too. I agree with all your tips. The first time we went, we did a special turtle week event and got to feed the turtles, except my son thought that turtles eat carrots and lettuce for a while.
Great pictures. My pictures in the aquarium tunnels don't ever turn out. I am so excited about finding your blog as I am headed to Oahu in October. I am definitely going to use this site as a resource! Thanks so much!
Indeed what a fun blog. I'm sure there a ton of things that you can introduce us all to.
I had no idea Maui had an aquarium. Though I have never gone with children. I am excited to have discovered your blog. My family lived in Hawaii for decades (unfortunately my parents moved when I was a baby) and its one of my favorite vacation spots!
Post a Comment