March 12, 2010

Kailua Farmers' Market


This week we went to Kailua's Thursday night Farmers' Market.  It's held in the parking garage near Longs and Pier 1 Imports; not the most picturesque setting but at least they don't have to worry about the weather.  The farmers' market isn't that big but they have quite a variety of things for sale including fresh salsa, fresh bread, specialty ice cream, cut flowers and orchid plants.


The fresh produce is my favorite part.  There is a Thursday morning market that has more but when I can't make it to that one the vendors at the evening market have most of what I want.  This week I got a bunch of herbs, bananas, tomatoes, long beans, Japanese eggplant, Manoa lettuce, papayas and probably a couple other things I am forgetting.  


Since it was suppertime and dinner wasn't ready and waiting at home we decided to just have supper at the farmers' market.  We started with fresh bread and roasted corn and then got a couple plate lunches with different curries to share.  Oh, and we broke into our chips and fresh salsa.  We were all full by the end!



Do it yourself on Oahu:

• As I mentioned, the Kailua Thursday Night market is held in the parking garage behind Longs and Pier 1 Imports.  There is parking in the garage and in the adjacent lot behind Macy's.
• The market runs from 5:00 - 7:30 PM, but there's more selection of produce towards the beginning of that time.
• There are a number of vendors selling different plate lunches.  Most meals seemed to cost around $8.
• I always take a stroller for my girl.  It can get a little crowded, but even with a stroller you can get around most of the time.
• If you don't have cash, there are ATM machines along the sidewalk next to Pier 1.

2 Comments:

FootPrints said...

i didnt even know Kailua had one! thanks for sharing! I gotta get over there!!

Oahu Mom said...

FootPrints: It's definitely worth a visit. One of these days I'll get back to the Thursday morning market and when I do I'll post about that one too.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...