March 1, 2010

Tsunami Warning

I'm guessing everyone's heard about the tsunami warning we had over the weekend.  The first we heard about it was on Saturday morning when the sirens went off at 6 AM.  For those who don't live here, there are sirens set up throughout the islands for such an event.  Here's a picture of one of the sirens that's near our neighborhood.


We all know what the sirens sound like because they test them on the first business day of every month.  In fact, they tested them today, March 1.  But when they went off at 6 AM on Saturday my sleepy brain quickly went through a mental list (it's not the 1st, it's not a business day and they NEVER test them at such an early hour) and I jumped out of bed and said to my husband, "This could be real!"  I turned on the radio alarm clock beside my bed and we listened to the emergency bulletin.  There had been an earthquake in Chile, a tsunami warning had been issued, and the estimated arrival was 11 AM.  After we heard 11 AM we turned the radio off and crawled back in bed.  This was a rare morning of sleeping in and we didn't want anything to mess that up, but after being unable to fall asleep we finally gave in and got up.

Our house is not at risk of being taken out by a tsunami so I got on Facebook and posted that anyone/everyone was welcome to come over and we'd have a potluck lunch.  A bunch of friends took us up on the offer - some because they had to evacuate, some because they thought it best to evacuate and others because it sounded like a fun time.  Around 11 most of us were in front of the TV, waiting for the news from the Big Island, which the tsunami would reach first.  


We breathed a sigh of relief when the wave heights were low and then enjoyed a fantastic potluck lunch and a relaxing afternoon in our back yard while everyone waited for the all clear and the roads to open up.  

Even though the water surges here were minor, it is still amazing to me that an earthquake thousands of miles away could create waves and currents that crossed an entire ocean, making it all the way to Japan after it passed us.  I am thankful it turned out to be just a fun time for us, with no damage or loss of life in Hawaii, but can't help but think of the people in Chile who are suffering as a result of the earthquake there.  Say a prayer for them.


Thanks to Steady Mom for hosting the Mom's 30-Minute Blog Challenge!  Gives me a place to share this post and motivated me to write it in a timely manner.



4 Comments:

Kim & Dave said...

That amazes me, too! I am sure glad it was nothing major for the state of Hawaii!

Where I grew up, they test the tornado sirens the first Monday of every month. It has scared my kids-since they are not used to it where we live!

~marci~ said...

I was thinking about you and praying...when I heard the weather news. So glad it was not as bad as predicted. God is good!

Kelly Miller said...

I was so happy that the earthquake (which was major) didn't cause tremendous damage elsewhere. Sounds like a great way to wait it out.

se7en said...

Hay 30 minute mom, You sound so calm and collected - I am sure I would not be able to go back to bed and sleep in!!! Good for you for staying calm and peaceful!!! Have a good week!!!

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...