March 15, 2010

Kalama Beach Park

We went to the beach this weekend!  It's so sad that is a newsworthy event when we are surrounded by beautiful beaches.  We definitely don't get there as often as we should, especially in the winter.

We went late Saturday afternoon to Kalama Beach, our beach of choice for a short visit.  Our boy decided he wanted to surf (ride his boogie board actually, but he calls it surfing) and he actually carried the board himself all the way to, well, a few feet closer to the trees than he is in this picture.  Still well within sight of the parking lot!  Oh well.


It was on the cloudy side so the ocean wasn't as brilliant as it sometimes is, but it was still a beautiful day.  A group of our friends were already there and we joined them.  I spent the rest of the afternoon relaxing with my toes in the sand.  Our girl didn't seem to care whether or not she got in the water and since it was cooler and breezy I was happy to stay on the beach with her.


True to his plan, our boy got right in the water with his boogie board and his dad, who really didn't want to get wet but was a trooper and did it anyway.  My husband's such a good guy!


We left feeling refreshed and relaxed and determined to go back again soon!


Do it yourself on Oahu:

• Kalama Beach Park is in Kailua off of N. Kalaheo Avenue near the intersection of Hauoli St. and Kalaheo.
• There is a small parking lot there but it's often full on the weekends.  If that's the case, look for street parking on the side streets nearby.  If you do park in the lot, check the hours.  I think they lock the gate around 6PM.
• You can't see the beach from the parking lot but it's just a short walk away.
• The beach park has restrooms and showers.
• There is more shade here than many beaches on the island, but take an umbrella if you want to move away from the beach access where most of the shade is.
• The waves here are often good for boogie boarding and/or surfing.

Thanks to Steady Mom for hosting the Moms' 30-Minute Blog Challenge each week!

5 Comments:

amandaginn said...

Wow -- it looks beautiful! Especially as I sit here in Minnesota.

(Found you at Steady Mom.)

Kelly Miller said...

Very cool! I love that you have tips for those who might want to check out that beach.

Joni said...

Is A. wearing pink shorts? R. would be so jealous! :)

Oahu Mom said...

Joni - No, they're red, although probably a bit faded by now. But he does like pink for toys and stuff.

WWW.AARTEDENEWTONAVELINO.BLOGSPOT.COM said...

I liked very much the blog
I'm Brazilian artist and I hope
you enjoy my blog and culture
Brazilian publish it if you can get to
will ...

WWW.AARTEDENEWTONAVELINO.BLOGSPOT.COM

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...