Kailua's Thursday morning Farmers' Market, not to be confused with the evening Farmers' Market in Kailua, is my favorite place to get fresh fruit and vegetables. Most of the items are locally grown and fresh from the farm and the prices are generally better than the grocery store.
I have my favorite vendors for certain items. The papaya man who offers my boy a job after watching him carefully select and then help carry our papayas, the banana guy who often gives my girl a free banana to eat while we're shopping, etc. Most weeks I buy papayas, apple bananas, tomatoes, cucumbers, green onions and bell peppers. Depending on my menu or mood for the week I might also buy lettuce, okra, eggplant, pineapple, plantains, beets or even breadfruit. Fresh fish are often available as well.
The market has a small town feel to it and if you've lived here for any length of time you'll probably see someone you know. And how could you not be inspired to eat more vegetables when you get to see them like this?
Do it yourself on Oahu:
• Location: The morning Farmers' Market is located behind the Kailua fire station in a parking lot along S. Kainalu Drive.
• Directions: Heading makai (toward the ocean) on Kuulei Road, turn right onto S Kainalu Drive. The Famers' Market will be on your right.
• Parking: Along the street or in the nearby neighborhoods.
• Vendors accept cash only.
• A tip from me: The vendors all have plastic bags but I prefer to take my own bag. Less to throw away when I get home and easier to carry one big bag than give small ones.
• A second tip from me: The market begins promptly at 9 AM with the sound of a horn. If you want to be sure to get fresh cut flowers then you might consider getting there early and getting a number so when the horn blows you can grab your flowers before they're all gone. If you're going with kids though, I recommend going a little later, say 9:15, to avoid the mad rush that is the first few minutes of the market. But don't go too late, by about 9:45 the vendors start packing up to head to their next market.
• Check this link for more information on the People's Open Market, including times and locations of other markets around Oahu.
I am happy to share that this post was included in Homespun Honolulu's Blog Carnival. Visit Homespun Honolulu to see the entire Carnival of Rainbow Colors, October's carnival theme.




1 Comment:
Aloha - I've visiting from the carnival of Aloha at Homespun Honolulu.
This market looks great! It's always a good feeling to support local farmers.
Post a Comment