September 16, 2010

Soul Cafe in Kaimuki

A few months ago I joined the coolest book club.  We discuss the book (and life and kids and anything else we think of) over dinner.  But not just any dinner; the food has to go along with the book.  For example when we read Shadow of the Wind, which is set in Barcelona, we all made Spanish food.
Our most recent book was The Help which is set in the South so naturally we decided we needed some good Southern cookin'.  Someone suggested we make a reservation at Soul Cafe and that's what we did!


I'm not a food critic or a restaurant reviewer but here are my thoughts on Soul Cafe:

Set-up:  Indoor and outdoor dining available.  No matter where you sit, you go to the outdoor counter to place your order and pay for your food.  The counter is also where you can get the key to the restroom which is behind the restaurant.  If it's after dark I'd recommend you take a friend with you, but maybe I'm just a chicken.  
Food:  Delicious and authentic.  Cornbread with maple butter on it.  Collard Greens.  Sweet tea.  Fried chicken.  Southern vegetarian chili made with black eyed peas.  Cole slaw.  Lots of other stuff too.  Very generous portions and we all left feeling very full.
Chef:  Good at his job and friendly too.  He stopped by our table and asked us about our book and posed for a photo with us.
Parking:  Limited free parking in front of the restaurant.  Lots of pricey parking across the street.  Park at City Mill at your own risk.  Probably better to pay for parking than discover your car was towed, but once again, maybe I'm just too much into being on the safe side, i.e. a chicken.


Do it yourself on Oahu:
• Soul Cafe is in Kaimuki at 3040 Waialae Avenue, Honolulu, 96816.  Phone is 808-735-7685.  It's tucked in with a number of other restaurants and several of us drove by it once or twice before we saw it.  
• I didn't take my kids so I can't give you the full scoop but I can say that the atmosphere is nice and casual and children would definitely be welcome here.

Soul Cafe on Urbanspoon

Leave your comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...