Doesn't this photo look idyllic? A boy and a kite and long afternoon shadows at the end of a beautiful day.
Well, I for one appreciate it when bloggers keep it real, so I will tell you the story behind this picture.
We are the proud owners of two kites. One has been in the family 10 years and hadn't been flown for at least 8 years. The other has been in the family 7 years and had never been flown. It's a wonder they have survived the sorting and purging I like to do on a regular basis.
Anyway, this past weekend the kites finally saw the light of day and got to fly in the great big sky. We decided to head to the big grassy field adjacent to Sandy Beach and fly kites with the kids. We packed the kites, the kids, some snacks, water bottles, a blanket and I can't remember what else into the car and headed off.
The kids were asleep when we got there so we took a detour and after they'd had enough of a nap to be cheerful humans we parked at Sandy Beach and woke them up. Then we walked over to the big grassy field and flew our kites. Well, not quite.
First there was some whining about having to wait for us to get the kites ready to fly and then some crying and arguing about sharing and taking turns. Then someone needed to go to the bathroom and someone else wanted a snack (which had to be retrieved from the car). Thankfully we have grandparents visiting and with the kids outnumbered two to one we were able to actually get the kites launched before the sun went down. Everyone who wanted to fly a kite got a turn, the kite that collided with a tree was rescued and in the end it was a fun time for everyone and will make a good memory.
So if by chance you've ever compared yourself to Oahu Mom and wished it was as easy to get out and about with your kids as it appears on her blog please know you're in good company. I'm the author of this blog and I have wished the same. But I can tell you that in the end it's (almost always) worth it, so push through the challenges and go fly a kite or see some sights with your keiki.
Do it yourself on Oahu
Location: There is a large grassy area just inland from Sandy Beach and that is where we flew our kites. In my previous post you can kind of see it at the right site of the picture.
Directions: Sandy Beach is located on the Kalanianaole Hwy. between Makapu'u Lighthouse and the Halona Blowhole, just SW of the intersection of Kealahou Street and the highway. It's right by the road so it's hard to miss. Some maps label it Sandy Beach and others call it Wawamalu Beach Park.
Parking: There is a lot of parking all along the beach park, though I'm sure it fills up sometimes. There might also be room to park between the grassy field and the road, but I'm not 100% sure about this.
Facilities: There are outdoor showers and public restrooms here. The toilets are the plain metal ones with no toilet seats, but the restrooms had TP when we were there.
Other: This is a very popular kite flying spot with lots of wind. Don't let the fact that we got our kite stuck in a tree deter you from this spot. It's a huge field and if we'd walked out into it a little more instead of staying by the edge that wouldn't have happened. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that according to the signs, it's a hang glider landing spot so if some come to land, they have the right-of-way.
Other: This is a very popular kite flying spot with lots of wind. Don't let the fact that we got our kite stuck in a tree deter you from this spot. It's a huge field and if we'd walked out into it a little more instead of staying by the edge that wouldn't have happened. Oh, and I almost forgot to mention that according to the signs, it's a hang glider landing spot so if some come to land, they have the right-of-way.

1 Comment:
I fly kites with my grandsons weekly - we go over to the large grassy area behind their school (Iriquois Point) and fly away - no hassle, no snacks, just the kites, grandkids and some wind. Always a great time!
Post a Comment