If you look closely at the picture above you can see the Halona Blowhole spouting. I took this picture from Sandy Beach after we finished our kite flying adventure.
Now I'll show you the picture I got from the blowhole lookout when we had stopped there earlier in the day.
See it spouting? Me neither. The ocean was calm and the waves only got the blowhole going occasionally. After watching it for ages and ages I gave up on the blowhole (which of course spouted right after I walked away) and did some whale watching instead.
The calm water made it easy to spot whale spouts and we saw spouts in a number of different directions. Got to see a whale tail, some pectoral slaps and, best of all, multiple breaches. I am always amazed at whales and their ability to hurl their entire body out of the water and into the air. I wished we'd taken our binoculars, but the show was good even without them.
So if you want to see whales from land on Oahu, but don't want to hike up to Makapu'u Lighthouse, try the Halona Blowhole lookout. I'm wondering why I never thought of this before!
Do it yourself on Oahu
Directions: There are other pullouts along this stretch of road but the blowhole is the only one with a large parking lot. There's a sign at the entrance, so you should have no trouble finding it.
Parking: Although a nice size, the parking lot does fill up. Just wait a few minutes and you'll get a spot. Since it's a lookout there's a lot of turnover in the parking lot.
Facilities: No restrooms or other facilities here.
Other: The humpback whale season in Hawaii goes from mid-December to April. • Don't try to hike down next to the blowhole and get your picture taken - a handful of people have been killed doing that. Please use common sense and stay safe.



1 Comment:
Whale watching is always fun. We went off of Ko`olina once and when the whales came up the cute little Japanese tourist boys that were in the boat w/us kept yelling "sharku" LOL!
Post a Comment