Casablanca restaurant has been in Kailua for years and years. I know this because we've been meaning to go there for years and years and finally made it there on a date night recently. The place has limited hours and days (see 'do it yourself' below) but we managed to coordinate babysitters for our kids with the restaurant's schedule so we could give it a try.
The atmosphere is not one you commonly find in Hawaii. There are couches along the walls, tapestries on the walls and fabric draped from the ceiling. Definitely a middle eastern feel. They have small low tables and you sit either on the couches or on cushions on the floor around the tables.
The menu is a set menu and is about $35 per person. The meal includes lentil soup, bread, a variety of side salads, a pastry/pie dish, a main course that each person gets to select, dessert and tea. There has been plenty written about the food on TripAdvisor, Yelp and other places online and I don't consider myself a food critic so I'll skip the details but say that there was a lot of food and we really liked it.
You eat most of the food with your fingers and they come around at the beginning and again at the end with a basin so you can wash your hands. They also sprinkled us with orange blossom water as a happiness blessing at the end which added to the unique experience.
This is not a place to grab a quick bite, but a place to sit back, relax and enjoy an evening. Probably not the best place to take young children but perfect for a date night or a mom's night out.
Do it yourself on Oahu
Location: 19 Hoolai Street, Kailua, Hawaii 96734
Hours: 6pm to 8:30pm Tuesday through Saturday
Other: The restaurant is BYOB. Vegetarian selections are available.
For reservations and more info: 808-262-8196

2 Comments:
You have a "Their" that should be "There". I guess I am the grammar police these days. But you did do "well" with your description. I, however, am not good with sentence structure. KM
@Karla - Fixed it, thanks!
Post a Comment