April 11, 2011

Sunrise Market and Protea Garden on Maui

On our recent trip to Maui we decided to make the drive to the top of Haleakala crater since we hadn't been up there in years and the kids had never been.  I know it's a popular place to watch the sunrise, but we weren't feeling that ambitious and headed out after a leisurely breakfast instead.  On the way to the top, my in-laws suggested we stop at Sunrise Country Market to see the Protea Flower Garden. It was a great suggestion!


The cute market has souvenir items for sale as well as coffee and some food.  We didn't eat there so I can't comment on the food, but we did enjoy walking through their protea farm and looking at all the beautiful flowers.  It was a great stop to stretch our legs and enjoy the beauty and peacefulness of Maui's Upcountry.

I realized when we stopped here that I had never seen protea growing before.  They really are unique and beautiful flowers!

Do it yourself on Maui

Address:  16157 Crater Road, Kula Hwy.
Location:  Sunrise Country Market and Protea Flower Garden are located on Crater Road/Haleakala Hwy/Hwy 378 near the junction of this road and Kekaulike Ave/Haleakala Hwy/Hwy 377  (according to Google maps).  It's in the last pocket of civilization before you head up to the top of Haleakala Crater.
Ammenities:  As mentioned they have food for sale here.  There are a couple picnic tables located behind the store and restrooms on the side.

Leave your comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...